318is coupe 1992 - myself from šŸ‡±šŸ‡»

• Het forum is momenteel nog onder constructie, maar je kan het al wel gebruiken. Hier en daar gaan er in de loop van de dagen/weken veranderingen doorgevoerd worden.

LoveBMW

Hi! So my name is Lauris. I do live in Ardennes (near Lux border), for few years lived in Mol, but originally from Latvia. I do speak Vlaams, but writing takes way too long šŸ˜ so Iā€™ll just do it in English.

I am big fan of e39 (now have 2, but in total had 11 different ones already and probably will not stop šŸ™‚), but recently I got myself an e36 coupe and I am starting to fall in love with it. Itā€™s my first e36, so I know almost nothing about all the small details I want to know.

This is mostly as my project diary. At the moment my e36 is not even close to being how I want it to be, needs a lot of workā€¦but it will come.

Since this is my first post, I wanted to just say ā€œhiā€ and introduce myself. C4A856A3-E5E6-44A7-8AFB-5FD538000396.jpeg5B9B4740-DB28-47C5-A254-B86B5758756A.jpeg

Psychotronik

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome here Lauris,

rome is also not built in One day. Take your time for your project !

I have also a E39 , but mine is the 540i with manual 6 gear ;

LoveBMW

I have also a E39 , but mine is the 540i with manual 6 gear ;
Niiiice! I want to import one 535i into Belgium for myself, butā€¦I think my hands will be full for a while with this newly bought e36 project.

Edit: Plus I got bad news today, my F650 engine is not worth restoring anymore. So I ā€œlostā€ šŸ˜  1200ā‚¬ today.

Psychotronik

Administrator
Staff member
And you will drive on belgium plates? Because you will pay alot of taxes in this country for old en big engines....

LoveBMW

Probably not.
BTW how is here if I have, for example, on paper 520i or 525i but I put v8 in it? Can I do it officially or tax office donā€™t need to know that?

Psychotronik

Administrator
Staff member
That is not possible in this country on belgium plates . Not official ...

If you have a 520i and you put another 6 cillinder in it . Then nobody will know. But if you put 8 cillinders in it, you are screwd if you must go to car examination ( apk, mot, ...)

Belgium is not really car minded. Little mods you can do with papers. But engine swaps with more cillinders is a no go ....

LoveBMW

Soā€¦my only option even for this e36 is:
ā€”-> trailer to Lettland ā€”> swap for some 2.8 engine ā€”-> register car there officially with new engine ā€”-> export plates and back to Belgium ā€”-> register in Belgium already as clean 328i

And I made a mistake: itā€™s 94 and not 92 e36 318isa

Avus 3.0

Staff member
Welcome oldscool bmw petrolhead.

Your plans with your E36 look great but unfortunately in belgium they doesn't work.
The only way it could work is the way you wrote yourself. Register the car in lettland with the new engine and than register the car back in Belgium again with the new engine...

Good luck šŸ¤ž

E36Jokke

Hello Lauris, welcome.

Nice e39, I owned one for a few months, but sold it because of a lot troubles.

The e36 is a mutch friendly maintenence car and a lot more fun to drive.
This forum looks small maybe but the knowledge is very big :D.

I love to live in de Ardennes /Luxemburg, only a little far from work :D.

LoveBMW

Hi, Jokke!
About e39ā€™s - well yes and no. It does take a lot of maintenance, but if you do it regularly it will keep driving. I had one 525d few years ago, it smoked like train, had 620 000 + km but it kept on going. I had accident with another ā€œtopaz blauwā€ I had and once tractor turned it back on its wheels I drove home like nothing happened. šŸ˜
Butā€¦.you are right, e36 is more fun to drive. It kinda feels more manual, snappier responses.

P.s.- If anyone from here needs some ā€œcomputerā€ work on some e39 (and not only e39) I can do it.
Lower/higher rear air suspension on touring, reset engine/lambda/transmission/vanos/etc adaptations. I do BMW codings - like US style side marker lights, comfort locking, and so on.
For members of this forum special price - for free šŸ˜

Last edited: